Sunday, November 8, 2015

CECS 5510 - Reflections at the 11th Week

My instructional design for my online course created in Canvas is drawing near the end. This has been a very large process! When I first started designing the course, I knew that I had a large amount of content to include, but I never imagined it would consume the amount of time that it did. Prior to starting the development of the course, I created a timeline. In my timeline, I made sure to also include all of the weekly assignments that were required on top of the elements I needed to develop for my own online course. I have to say that I have stayed very close to this timeline. I was able to complete all components and I feel very good about getting everything ready for final submission.
I think my biggest challenge in this project was time. With the requirements associated with my career along with the requirements for this course, I found it difficult to carve out time during the week to work. According to Canvas, I have spent 114 hours of time in the course. I realize that this is not 100% correct, but to make up for lost time, I have given up every weekend to develop this course. Another challenge has been working with the members in my peer review group. Although the feedback has been excellent, all of us working around each other’s schedules has been difficult. The one thing that helped us overcome this was the flexibility we each had to practice in receiving the feedback.
As part of my career, I am constantly completing projects within a professional timeline. What I have learned is that I have to prioritize my time. Many times this includes creating a timeline of tasks for each day or week. In my career, I am usually not working on a project by myself so the team can divide up the tasks and then bring them all back together to review and edit as needed. As I mentioned earlier, this instructional design project was different since I had to develop the content by myself. In the future, I will continue to work off of a timeline. I will also create online instruction in smaller chunks and not take on such a large amount of content in such a short amount of time.
I think that as I have gone through the instructional design process, my strengths are definitely creating content on how to do certain tasks. On a daily basis, this is one of the main tasks that I do in my career. I am constantly working with teachers on the “how” of using technology. As I continue forward, my training needs to shift. Now, I need to not only look at the “how” to use the technology, but also the “how” to transform lessons so that the tasks are not simply using technology as a substitution for traditional learning activities but include 21st century skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. I have attempted to incorporate these skills in this course, but I know I need to expand on these items.

No comments:

Post a Comment