Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week 1 - Activity 7: Creating Instructions for Activities Using Only Text



When designing instruction that is primarily comprised of text and hypertext to teach a concept, I have come to understand that it is very difficult to write instructions so that a student would understand exactly what they need to do to complete the lesson. I found that it took much more time to create these documents since I had to pay such close attention to detail. Furthermore, I had to pay very close attention to how I formatted the text to set apart different items. Consistency in using different formats was very important so that the student would not be misled.

I believe that creating instructions using text only can be helpful to students. In any group, there are students that need very specific instructions in order to complete a task. Having written instructions can help lead these students step by step through the process or activity. Also, if the documentation is available to the student after the initial training, either in hard copy or online, the student can look back over the instructions for clarification if needed at a later time.

I found it very difficult to create the instructions without the use of images. Trying to come up with the words for some of the instructions was extremely difficult. It would have been much easier to insert a quick screen clipping to show the step instead of trying to find the words to describe the step. The use of images or videos gives visual learners the support they need as they try to complete a given task. Without the use of images or videos, I feel that there are students that will get lost in the words and find it difficult to complete the lesson. Additionally, as an instructor, I cannot leave out items that I assume the student will know. If the student has gaps and cannot follow the instructions, they will not be successful in their learning.

As an instructor, creating instructions with text only impacts my time. I create instructions for teachers and students on a daily basis. Many times, these instructions are needed immediately as I support the lessons in the classrooms. Without the use of images or video, it takes me much longer to create the documentation. Many times, I create a quick screen cast for the teacher or student to guide them through the process. I found that creating instructions using only text and hypertext, without the use of images or videos, was a very tedious process.

No comments:

Post a Comment