Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Media in Learning and Teaching



Individuals learn in different ways, but I feel that a common thread between most learners is that if they can see how something is done, they tend to be more successful in their learning. The use of media, such as images or videos, gives the individual a better understanding of what they are learning. I know that in my position as an instructional technologist, I am constantly creating “how-to” files for teachers and students. I have found that by creating step by step directions with screen shots of what the user should be seeing seems to really help most users follow the directions. If I can create a screencast, the user seems to be even more successful.

This morning was a perfect example of how using media provided a better means to teach an individual a new skill. A teacher contacted me to help him set up reminder alarms on his cell phone so that he did not miss taking attendance each class period. Instead of just writing back the steps on how to do this, I did a quick screen cast of how to go through the steps. I was able to use a program called Reflector to mirror the display of my phone onto the computer. I then used the Smart Recorder on my computer to create a screencast of how to set the alarms. The teacher was so excited because he could pause the video and actually go through the steps on his own time, without me having to be right there to show him.

On the other hand, I have been in classes myself where I had to learn a new computer program. Even though I had a book to read with plenty of instructions, I found that I had a better understanding if I looked on YouTube for a video to also show my directly how to use the program. For me, the use of the videos gave me a quicker understanding of how to use the program. In addition to videos, step by step instructions are also very beneficial when learning a new skill or concept. If those instructions include images as well, then it is much easier to follow along.

Whether videos are found on websites such as YouTube, or the videos are produced by the teacher, the visual is a great asset when learning something new. An example of this would be the Kahn Academy videos for math and science. I have witnessed high school Algebra students watching these videos to help them complete assignments for class. Sometimes, the videos give students a different perspective than what they received from the teacher or a book. I find the use of videos to be very effective in teaching and in learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment