Saturday, February 1, 2014

Week 3: Part 2 Activity 2 - What is Different About Instructions Using Both Text and Images



When developing instructions that include both images and text combined, I found that my planning was quite different than when using only one medium. As I began to design the instructions, I quickly realized that the layout of the document is very important so that the text and the images are not isolated from each other, but are linked together. In addition, by adding the images, I was able to use less text to complete the instructions. I only had to put the most important text on the page, allowing the images to visualize the instruction. Overall, I agree with Hede (2002) that adding images to the text helps draw attention to the instructions.
In reading the article by Harold & Moore (2000), they found in their research that there are both limitations and benefits when combining the two elements. When faced with multiple forms of communication, the thinking process for humans can become overtaxed causing a decrease in learning. This information overload can also cause learning to be less organized making the learning process take longer.  On the other hand, they found that by using both text and images, “both recall and comprehension” could be improved.  In addition, providing visualization with verbal cues could improve problem solving skills. After reading through their work, I became more aware of how important it is to carefully balance the combination of images and text in instruction.
So does combining these two media make learning more efficient? I feel that for the learner, combining visual and verbal elements into instruction can make the learning process much smoother, therefore making learning more efficient. As I have trained new teachers in my school district, I have seen them learn how to use their electronic grade books through the use of both visual and verbal instructions. By seeing the images, they are able to very quickly transfer the steps of instruction so that they can enter grades and take attendance. As a designer, I found that by combining the two media, it did take more time to produce the instructions. But in the end, if learning is enhanced and more efficient for the student or staff member, then it is well worth my time to produce these types of instruction.
As I prepare instructions, I am always aware that people learn in different ways. There are some individuals that prefer to have short bulleted lists of instructions, while there are others that need images to be able to understand the instructions. I will continue to design instructions that include both visual and verbal components so that more of my audience can become successful in their learning.
 References
Harold, L. D., & Moore, D. M. (2000). Interaction of cognitive style and learner control in a hypermedia environment. International Journal of Instructional Media, 27(4), 369. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/204260739?accountid=7113

Hede, A. (2002). An integrated model of multimedia effects on learning. Journal Of Educational Multimedia & Hypermedia, 11(2), 177-191.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment