Sunday, February 16, 2014

Week 5: Part 1 Activity 3 – Using Audio-Visual Instruction


As I have moved through this course on designing multimedia instruction, it has been interesting to see how differently instruction must be created when media is used in isolation. Now that we are at the point where we can combine media, the design becomes more fascinating to create. I have realized how important it is to create different formats of instruction to differentiate between student’s learning styles. Along with this, knowing your audience helps determine the type of instruction that may be most beneficial for the student. Younger students may be more inclined to listen to or watch instructions, where adults may prefer text or a mixture of text and media. I found the most difficult type of instructions to create were those made of images only. Sometimes, there has to be verbal instruction to give the detail needed to create a good instructional set.
 Now that we are creating audio-visual instruction, I can see that this type of instruction can benefit teaching and learning. I feel that by combining the two, the student should be able to better visualize the instructions and the designated outcome. In addition, the use of audio-visual instruction seems to spark student interest by adding personal touch to the instruction. But I feel that one of the largest benefits of using audio-visual instruction is that it allows the instruction to be accessed at anytime, anywhere so that the student can go through the instruction when they need to apply it.
Like with any other type of instruction, there are possible issues that can be encountered when designing and using audio-visual instruction. Probably the most obvious issue is the lack of proper equipment or software to create the instructions so that they can be accessed through multiple browsers and devices. Along with this, the students must have access to some sort of device that will display the instructions whether they are located on a network or on the Internet. And then there is always the issue of the Internet browser choice. With each browser working differently, finding the correct mix of software, plug-ins, and display can be difficult to find a consistent browser to use that will allow the audio-visual instructions to work properly.
I look forward to creating an audio-visual instruction set because I do feel that this type of instruction can have an impact on teaching and learning. This type of instructions allows me to provide more online instructions for staff and students. In my job, I need to work with teachers as they infuse technology into their curriculum. With the ability to offer trainings online for software and applications, I will have more time to work with teachers as they develop lessons to use in their classrooms. As for my learning, I know that I learn better when I can watch a short video and can see what the outcome should be. In addition, I have seen that using audio for feedback has made the feedback much more beneficial for me than just looking at a quick comment or marking on a rubric. Listening to the teacher explain the feedback helped me move forward with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment