Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 6: Part 2 Activity 2 - Using Video to Design Instruction



I really enjoyed creating the instruction set this week using video. The design seemed to go so much easier since the video showed the detail that is so hard to include in just text or image instructions. I did learn that it is best to have a script ready that includes how the shot will be taken. Knowing if the shot will be a close up or wide angle ahead of time minimizes the number of shots taken while actually recording. Also, I learned that it is best to do short clips and add them together, than it is to try to record long clips. Plus, it gives the designer the opportunity to add different angles. It is also best to mix up the close up views with the wide angle views. This was a fun project to create.
Providing video instructions can be beneficial to the student. First, the instructor can upload the video to the Internet so that students can watch the instruction on demand. Additionally, the video allows the student to see exactly what the instructions are so that the interpretation is minimized on the student’s part. For the instructor, being able to use the videos from year to year is a great benefit since time will not have to be taken in the future to create the instructions. Plus, with all of the devices available to instructors today, a quick video can be recorded from a phone and published to the Internet very quickly.
There were several issues that I had to overcome in the production of my video that caused some difficulties. First, I had to find a microphone that would connect to my camera so that I could be heard in the video. I was able to use a microphone that our district owns. But I would probably have to purchase a microphone if I created a video away from work. Also, I found it difficult to record the video and have the correct lighting to produce a good quality video. When providing video instruction, a difficulty for students might be that they are not able to watch the video if they do not have a device or Internet connectivity to access the video. But overall, I felt like the difficulties I experienced were fairly easy to overcome.
As I worked on the video this week, I began to think of ways that I could use videos in my instruction. I feel that the use of videos definitely enhances the learning environment. I realize that using videos for flipped instruction in the classroom can also be extended to offering flipped instructional training for teachers. As a student in this course, I personally saw that as I watched the videos to learn the Premiere application, I could see how powerful it is to see the steps of the instruction as I tried to find my way through the program. Having the visual and audio instruction combined made learning the new program much easier.
So when I compare using video as opposed to a single medium for delivering instruction, I can see that using video is very helpful to the student. To me, video instruction is the clearest way to communicate with students about expectations for a project or steps to complete and activity. The video provides detail that text or images alone cannot capture. In addition, many times with the use of a video, students do not have to try to interpret what the expectations are, but they can see exactly what must be done. Designing instruction with video can certainly enhance learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment